Wednesday 13 November 2019

WATERLOGGED WATER PARK





Although I've been out and about a few times, there has been nothing of note to write about hence the gap in the blog. 

Today it was a sunny day between two wet ones, so I went out to Somerford Common to look for redpolls which have been reported there. I don't know the wood that well, but despite having sightings of tree creeper, nuthatch and jays, there seemed few birds about. It was a muddy track which led first downhill then uphill to the open areas and I was glad of my wellies. 
I was also glad of my wellies for a visit to Shornecote reedbeds later on in the day; after following the footpath across two fields, it soon became waterlogged and  every so often I had to wade through several inches of water. At one point, it became obvious that people had gone through the fence at the side to avoid the path. 

I saw my first winter thrushes of the season, groups of fieldfares and redwings in the trees and several flocks of fieldfares calling as they flew over.  From the first hide there were coot and moorhen, mallards and gadwalls and later a marsh harrier flew over. A lady I met in the hide told me she had seen a kingfisher too, just before my arrival. Cettis warblers were also heard and the squealing of a water rail too.  We were hoping for  starling murmuration but decided against waiting as it was getting rather cold. One for another day I think. 


Footpath at Shornecote. It should run between the gates! 

Footpath under water

marsh harrier over the reeds
winter thrushes


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...