Monday 2 December 2019

FARMOOR AGAIN



Another cold, still,  day so I paid a quick visit to Farmoor reservoir  this afternoon to try and get some better views of the scaups seen there last week. As an added bonus there had been reports of a slavonian  greb which would be an extra year tick for me. 

After I had crossed the causeway I came across  a couple of birders, one of which told me that he could  see the two scaups, and that the slavonian grebe was still there, albeit further away than it had been earlier. Grateful for his help,  I soon located  the scaups  which  were fairly distant to start with but gradually came a little nearer,  sometimes preening and often turning in circles as they did so!.  The grebe, however,  was content to remain fairly distant   and I had to be content with a couple of record shots  After watching them for a while, the light deteriorated as the sun gradually began to sink; a reminder that the shortest day is not far off so I headed home. 


white coot


female scaup



female and juvenile scaups


little grebe
Slavonian grebe


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...