Saturday 21 November 2020

SCAUP TRIO AT FARMOOR

  


For a number of reasons including a temporary change of hours at school, plus a visit from a heating engineer, I've not been out this week until today.  It was a mostly grey day with a brisk south westerly wind  blowing when I headed over to one of my regular birding sites at Farmoor Reservoir. I'd been reading a number of reports of several Greater Scaup on the reservoir which were associating with some tufted ducks not too far from the western end of the causeway which divides the two reservoirs. As I parked, I noticed the orange wind sock blowing horizonally which indicated that I would be heading into the wind as I crossed the causeway. I felt in my pockets for my hat and gloves, which thankfully were there in readiness.

 There were several groups of   tufted ducks visible on F1, and I scanned them with my binoculars to see if I could pick out any female Scaup with their white blaze. Another lady told me that she thought she could find one that was sleeping but it was difficult to identify it. I thought I could see the one she meant although there were another few ducks asleep as well. I decided to continue across the causeway  to see whether I could find any other birds of interest or  indeed anything else that looked like a Scaup. As I got to  the corner I  did spot what could be the possible immature male Scaup which had also been reported -  I'm always grateful to photographers who add their pictures to the Oxon birding blog, as it helps me check the birds I am trying to identify! . I turned to walk a little way along  the western bank of F1 but there appeared nothing that resembled the birds I was looking for. However, l did see a couple of kestrels perched  on the Thames Water building.

Returning across the causeway, this time with the wind behind me, I noticed a couple of photographers focusing on one of the  groups of  tufted ducks. I quickly realised that they had found the two female scaups, which had obviously been the sleeping birds I'd seen earlier!  Both had their white flash showing well, though the different colouring of the birds showed they were of different ages  - according to one birder's report they were probably first and second winter birds.

I took a few photos  before returning to my car to enjoy a flask of hot chocolate which I had brought with me in the car to warm me up after my walk!

2nd winter Scaup f




1st winter Scaup f



prob immature Scaup m 
kestrel on the roof

..and between some pipes





No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...