Saturday 5 February 2022

SCAUP AT FARMOOR



I don't usually reckon to visit Farmoor reservoir on a Saturday as it can get very busy with sailing school and local joggers and walkers. However, not wanting to go far today, I opted to  go there for a walk and to see if I could locate the long- staying female scaup as I'd not yet seen  it this year. 

Arriving at 11.30, the car park was surprisingly quieter than I had expected and there was little sailing activity on the reservoir. Possibly the cold brisk wind which was blowing across the water  was putting people off visiting.  I was glad of my 4 layers plus hat and gloves as the wind was blowing straight at me as I crossed the causeway but on reaching the other side, there was a lot more shelter from the wind and in the sunshine it was quite pleasant. Not having  found the scaup amongst the small groups of tufted ducks seen from the causeway, I turned to the right and headed round F1 where a larger group of coots and ducks were swimming just off the bank. I soon found the duck through my binoculars then headed round to get a closer view; I watched it for a while, some of the time the  coots seemed to want to chased it off,  and at other times if made short dives below the surface. 




































No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...