Tuesday 22 August 2023

SILVER SPOTTED SKIPPER

 About this time of year I normally do a trip to Aston Rowant and rspb Otmoor to find the final two emerging butterflies of the summer, the  silver spotted  skipper and the  brown  hairstreak . Having already found the hairstreak at Arnside knott I decided to to try a new site for the silver spotted skipper.  Warren Hill lies east of Tidworth and I easily found the location using my sat nav and parked on a large rough area at the bottom of the hill. With a large of grassland in front of me I started to follow a track towards the hill. Earlier blue skies  were now clouding over but in the breaks there were good numbers of butterflies  - mostly meadow browns but also common blues, brown argus, and a small copper.  Joining up with another butterfly spotter I made my way up the hill and continued searching. Here we saw small heath and brimstone and a fritiilary which sailed past, possibly a dark green fritillary or  silver washed, it was very faded and difficult to tell. 

I ventured into a meadow of wildflowers the other side of the hill but they were past their best and not attracting many butterfles. Eventually I walked back down hill to and turned off to an area on my right. At last I came across a few chalk hill blues which indicated I could be in the right area and  sure enough I finally found what I was looking for, a small brown butterfly fluttered past and rested on the ground , its wings folded behind showing the silver spots which distinguish it from the large and small skippers. It had clouded over now so having achieved my goal I had to be content and returned to my car. At least I will know where to look first next time!







No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...