Saturday 20 April 2024

WHITE WAGTAIL AND A FIRST SWALLOW

 I haven't been over to Farmoor Reservoir for a while so as the wind had dropped a bit and changed to a more westerly direction after the cold blast we've just had, I drove over there on Thursday afternoon.

The wind was blowing but it wasn't unpleasant in the light cloud/hazy sunshine. Along the causeway there were some wagtails, mainly pied but with a few subspecies 'white' wagtails among them. This one had a pale grey back and distinct contrast between the black on its head and its grey back which defines it  as 'white' compared to the black back of the pied wagtail. 



Down at the hides it was peaceful, I could hear  sedge and reed warblers singing but they kept out of sight.  A pair of gadwall  were in the water in front of the Pinkhill  hide, together with a mallard and a couple of ducklings - my first of the year. At the Shrike hide, a  heron was  fishing amongst the reeds on the opposite bank and a female blackcap flitted about the branches in the  tree to the left of the hide .

I also saw my first lone swallow of the season fly over the reservoir. The sun wasn't particular strong or warm and I saw no butterflies on my visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...