Saturday 8 June 2024

WOOD WHITE AND BLACK HAIRSTREAK

 I'd arranged a trip to stay with my sister for a couple of nights in order to make a third attempt at seeing a chequered skipper butterfly, introduced a couple of years ago at Fineshade Wood, Northampton. 

As I passed close to Silverstone on my way up, I stopped off at Bucknell Wood to hopefully see some wood white butterflies along the  track.  I parked in the small car park and went through the gate heading up to an open area where some paths meet at a 'crossroads'.  It had been overcast on my journey but the cloud seemed to breaking up and as I progressed along the track the sun did come out eventually. I don't usually find any wood whites until at least half way to the cross roads, at a point where it curves round to the right. And today this was where I saw the first sign of wood whites- low on the grassy edge I could see a fluttering white butterfly ahead of me. I caught it up but it never settled, but gently fluttered  along  until it flew up and over some bushes at the side. Meanwhile  a second individual had appeared    and  eventually settled, just for a few seconds, delicately suspended from its chosen flower.

I saw at least half a dozen wood white butterflies, a few more appearing as the sun came out but  none settling until at last when the sun disappeared, the butterfly I was watching  stopped conveniently on the top of a stalk where it stayed long enough for some photos. 







s


Reaching my destination  ahead of time, I decided to   drive a bit further on to Ouse Fen, an old quarry which is being developed into  large wetland site, and where a certain Great reed warbler has been singing lustily from the reed beds for the last few weeks. An rare visitor to the UK, I felt it was an opportunity I should not miss. Having visited the reserve on several previous occasion, I knew the layout  and realised that it probably would not be too far to walk from the car park. I asked some returning photographers who pointed me in the right direction and I headed that way. The bird could be heard well before I reached the viewing point, much louder than its neighbours the reed warblers. It was difficult to spot amongst the reeds, as it had chosen to stay at the back, but you could just make out its shape and  obvious red throat as it sang. Although previous visitors had seen it at the front of the reeds, I didn't have a lot of time to stay, and it certainly did not seem in any hurry to move from its chosen spot. 

As I turned to leave, I noticed a small brown shape huddled up against the edge of the grassy path ahead of me, and on getting closer I could see that it was a small animal - a fawn. It turned towards me and I realised it was a young chinese water deer,  a species which I have seen on this reserve previously. Its spotted furry coat almost made it look like a cuddly toy! I took some photos from a respectable distance then walked passed it, it stood nervously  before slowly retreating into the long grass. 




 



 


The next morning I was up fairly early, these light mornings always ensuring that I am awake by 6 am. My aim was to drive up to  Fineshade wood, where back in 2022, the public were first invited to visit to see the chequered skipper butterflies which had been introduced there a few years previously. The population was  considered self-sustaining, though  in very small numbers and in both 2022 and 2023 I had visited with no sightings. Sadly 2024 was to prove a 'no sightings' year for me too, despite spending  over  two hours searching. I walked the recommended circuit of Westhay wood,  which was suggested as being the best area to look, especially along the grassy verges. I did see three dingy skippers but nothing else of note. It was fairly early in the day ( 930 -  1130) so I don't know if that would make a difference, However, someone later told me that although one had been seen the previous week, nothing else had been reported.   One wonders if the introduction is either failing or getting off to a very slow start. It doesn't help that chequered skippers  sightings are not reported on any website that I can find. However, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' so at least I did try! 

In contrast, my next port of call was to Glapthorn Cow pastures, a small woodland where black hairstreaks are almost guaranteed, and easy to photograph on top of the bramble bushes which occur in a small clearing along the 'third ride'. This was a return visit from two year ago, and once more I was able to  photograph these butterflies as they spin slowly round as they nectar on the flowers. 






 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

SEARCHING FOR SMALL PEARLS AT UBLEY WARREN

  I drove down to the Mendips in Somerset this morning to join a field trip at a place called Ubley Warren, organised by the Somerset local ...