Wednesday 10 July 2024

BERNWOOD FOREST

I haven't managed to see a purple emperor or purple hairstreak this year so headed over to Bernwood forest after I finished school at lunch time. It had been a mostly cloudy morning, but now the sun was appearing from time to time.

With no sightings in the car park, I made for the main track but sadly had no success here either. I did however, see many ringlets, together with large skippers, meadow browns. From time to time a white admiral would appear, also a few silver washed fritillaries.  In the field I found my first gatekeeper  of the year and a couple of marbled whites. 

Back near the carpark I did see a butterfly float across an area of blue sky above some tall trees, I thought it could have been a purple emperor but as I later found a white admiral lower down, I can't be sure. 

silver washed fritillary


ringlets


red admiral

comma 


very tatty white admiral



No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...