Saturday 3 August 2024

PERHAM DOWN BUTTERFLIES

I discovered the site at Warren Hill, Perham Down, near Andover  last year when I read that it supported a colony of silver spotted skippers. It is roughly an hour's trip away but nearer than my previous location of Aston Rowant. Having made a note on where to find  the silver spotted skippers  following last year's visit, I  headed straight up the main track and then turned off to a scrubby area to the left  to begin my search. These skippers are one of the later butterflies to emerge and consequently I tend to look for them at the start of August.

I had arrived  fairly early in the day - around 930, but already it was quite warm and I soon spotted my first butterflies.    At first I only saw meadow browns - plenty of them, together with a few gatekeepers and small heath butterflies, but then I noticed a smaller orangey brown butterfly fly at good speed and land on the path in front of me -  I had found my first silver spotted skipper of the year! I saw only a few more although a recent report had recorded about 25, however, I did not explore the whole of the site. 

A bit later on, I found another 'first for the year' - two chalkhill blue butterflies were fluttering about close to the ground, occasionally settling for a short time. I also found one female chalkhill blue and a common blue. 

It hasn't been a great year for butterflies, and I am  a few down on last year's total. I did, however, manage to find a purple hairstreak in my daughter's back garden last week. I shall hopefully look for brown hairstreaks next week, but it remains to be seen if I  see the migrants (clouded yellow and painted lady), sightings of which seem to be few and far between. I also wonder if the long tailed blue will be seen at all this year. 






male gatekeeper

male chalkhill blue

silver spotted skipper



view of warren hill





male chalkhill underwing



female chalkhill underwing

female chalkhill blue



common blue male





No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...