Thursday, 23 July 2026

EASTLEACH TWITCH AND A WALK AT SLIMBRIDGE

 I'm not normally a twitcher although I do note the unusual species from looking at Bird Guides on a regular basis. Recently, crowds of bird watchers flocked to see a 'mega' bird species, a long tailed shrike in Scotland, some driving from as far away as Cornwall I believe.

Whilst  amazed at the lengths people will go for another 'lifer' , I was even more amazed when another ( or the same?)  long tailed shrike turned up at Eastleach Martin, only 20 minutes away from my home! With no excuse not to go and see it, I read the instructions for parking and turned up  in the allocated field around 9.30 am.  I reckon  at least  70 cars were already  in situe, and  a short walk back up the lane found me amongst a line of birders, mostly with long lenses, scopes and tripods all pointing towards one spot along the hedgerow, some distance away. With my binoculars I could only make out the shape of the shrike, but a kind person  allowed me to take a look through their scope which was set up next to me. From time to time the bird would make a short flight to another perch, either on a teasel, on the branch of a tree  or at the front of a bush. Each allowed for good sightings, particularly those with the more expensive gear. 

I learned afterwards that the bird's  preferred locations were  actually along the Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire border, thus causing some interesting dilemmas for county birdwatchers, anxious to add a tick to their own patch birds. 

With the bird being so distant, I could only get a blurry shot on my own camera, but if opportunity allows, I might have another go and pay an additional £5  charity donation, for the privilege of parking in the farmer's field.  Altogether, I would agree with the  general opinion that  the kindness and co-operation of the local farmer, made for a well-organised and friendly 'twitch.'





Next day, I had a pre-booked walk   at Slimbridge WWT with writer and broadcaster David Lindo. I had been surprised when I managed to secure one of only 20 free  tickets for the event which was one of a series of free walks at the WWT Centres of which he is vice-president, organised to  celebrate   20 years of his work as 'The Urban Birder'.   The walk was actually led by chief warden, Martin McGill , with David Lindo providing interesting facts about his life and birding in general along the way.  Although we only visited   four of the centre's hides,  I managed to add another four bird species to my own year list, ( spotted redshank, yellow wagtail, green and common sandpipers.)  and a couple of new dragonfly species. 

It was an enjoyable walk with other like minded birders and ended with book signing by the author. 

green sandpiper



ruff



David Lindo

Red veined darter



the new estuary shoreline area looking beautiful in the sunshine



No comments:

Post a Comment

EASTLEACH TWITCH AND A WALK AT SLIMBRIDGE

 I'm not normally a twitcher although I do note the unusual species from looking at Bird Guides on a regular basis. Recently, crowds of ...