Wednesday 16 December 2015

Whelford Pools

I paid a visit to Whelford Pools after a morning at school. Despite putting out some seed and quartered apples, nothing took any interest at either of the hides, so I decided to take a stroll along the footpath around the site.
  I was rewarded by sights of a flock of long tailed tits, 3 bullfinches,  tree creeper, and greater spotted woodpecker.
  As I was returning to the carpark, I pointed my camera towards what I thought were goldfinches feeding on seed heads, then realised that apart from one goldfinch the others were lesser redpolls, a first sighting for me.  
Also saw great tit, blue tit, robin, blackbird, coots, great crested grebe, tufted ducks, cormorant, herring gull, blackheaded gulls, mallards. A few photos are shown below -  my apologies for the  poor quality!


great crested grebe

rear view of longtailed tit

greater spotted woodpecker

tree creeper

tree creeper

lesser redpoll

lesser redpoll

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...