Saturday 14 May 2016

OUTING TO OTMOOR

A bit cooler but still plenty of sunshine for a visit to  RSPB reserve at Otmoor. On arrival at the carpark, I was greeted with the sounds of  a cuckoo calling and the soft purring of a turtle dove in the oak tree. A stroll down to the river, and I was surrounded by warblers singing from the reeds, I only had  glimpses of  reed warblers but the sedge warblers and reed buntings were more obliging,  and gave me the chance of some photos. 

Overhead were swifts, and a red kite being mobbed, also  saw a hobby perched on a distant post.  On the way back to the car park, I was shown the cuckoo through someone's telescope, but further down the track I saw  it fly on top of a telegraph wire which gave me a slightly closer view. Back in the car park I could still hear the turtle dove purring, and was about to give up on seeing it, but it then lifted itself out of the tree and flew around overhead before disappearing towards another part of the reserve. 


A nice morning out, with the following sightings:
robin, blackbird, blue tit, great tit, chaffinch, goldfinch, cuckoo, blackheaded gull, red shank, greenshank, lapwing, little egret, tufted duck, mallard, greylag goose and goslings, canada goose and goslings, coot and chicks, moorhen, reed bunting, reed warbler, sedge warbler, whitethroat, black cap, pheasant, hobby, red kite, wood pigeon, turtle dove, swift.
Just a couple of green veined white butterflies. 

reed bunting

sedge warbler



zoomed in cuckoo!

green veined white butterfly


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...