Monday 16 May 2016

THE DUKE ... AND OTHERS

What a lovely day for butterflies!   I visited the butterfly conservation reserve at Prestbury hill, east of Cheltenham this afternoon; last year I visited in August, but today my purpose was to see some spring butterflies.  As I walked downhill  into the reserve, from the road, the view was magnificent,  and it was not long before I spotted the first of many dingy skipper butterflies. I  then dropped down to the path, leading into a sheltered valley, part of the Cotswold Way long distance footpath, where I noticed Brimstone and Orange tip, also my first couple of Speckled woods of the year. I searched unsuccessfully for Green hairstreaks, then got chatting to a couple of walkers, who, like me. were hoping to find the rare Duke of Burgundy butterfly. I did spot my first Small blue, but only for a couple of seconds before it disappeared off into the brambles. 
Suddenly, I heard a shout from one of walkers, he'd found the rarity, the Duke of Burgundy. Happily I was able to take a number of shots on my camera.  On my way back to the car, I kept looking for green hairstreaks but none seen, although the walkers did tell me they had seen one on the ground earlier. 

Entrance to the reserve

view from the hill

dingy skipper

the cotswold way, very sheltered where I found most of the butterflies

speckled wood

duke of  burgundy fritillary


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...