Wednesday 14 June 2017

A SUNNY AFTERNOON IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE

I visited two of Butterfly Conservation's reserves in Gloucestershire today; Daneways and Rough Bank. I was hoping to see the rare Large Blue butterfly at Daneways. After parking the car I walked the few hundred metres uphill to the reserve and spoke to a couple returning to their car who said that they hadn't see any!  However, on arrival the warden said that one had just been flying around  near the entrance, and there it was! Sadly it didn't land so no photos possible. Despite walking around for an hour or so, no others were seen by anyone I spoke to.

However, I did see a green hairstreak, my first Painted Lady of the year, common blues, small blues, speckled wood, large skipper, small heath, meadow brown and red admiral.

I might try a return visit in the next week or so, as its not too far for me to travel to, unlike some others who had made a five hour journey from Sheffield to see  a large blue!

I then drove over to Rough Bank, there was very little around, several small blues and common blues, speckled wood and meadow browns.





meadow brown

painted lady


small blue

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...