Saturday 23 September 2017

RED NECKED PHALAROPE

I've been away for the past couple of days so on my arrival home, I checked the local birding blogs. A red-necked phalarope had been found at Farmoor Reservoir a couple of days ago and was there yesterday, so I checked this morning and it had been seen a 8 o'clock this morning.  I decided that this meant that there was a high chance of seeing it today. I've seen a  grey but not red necked phalarope at Farmoor so drove over there, arriving just before 10 am. The car park seemed to be packed full of cars and sailing paraphanlia, evidence of a big sailing event,  so I wondered if this would disturb the bird, but happily no boats had yet been put in the water. 

 A photographer on his way back, confirmed that yes, the phalarope was still very much there, at the far end of the causeway and I could see a number of photographers all congregating at a certain spot. The bird  is very small so I was nearly up to the photographers before I spotted it, a couple of feet away from the shore.  It seemed quite unperterbed by the amount of interest it had caused and I had the chance to take a number of photographs before returning home.






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...