Monday 1 January 2018

HAPPY BIRDING 2018

With cloudy, damp weather for New Year's Day and an invitation to lunch with my sister, I decided to stay local for  my first birding of the Year.

After 8 species seen on my garden feeders (robin, blackbird, blue tit, great tit, starling, wood pigeon, house sparrow and goldfinch)  I headed over to a very muddy  local country park at Stanton Fitzwarren, to see if I could add a few more species. It is my local hotspot for nuthatches and marsh tits, and these were soon seen as I stood away from the bird table after stopping to top it up with bird seed.  Two of each of these were seen, together with coal tit . On the water were mallard, coot and mute swans.
marsh tit

black headed gull

nuthatch

robin

blue tit

coal tit


As I left the country park, it began to rain and this became heavier as I got home.Later,  through the window, during  a delicious roast lamb dinner at my sister's house in Faringdon, I spotted a red kite circling over their garden ready to swoop on the lamb bone put out ready, although it did not actually  come down while I was there. 

After stopping back home to change, I drove over to Lower Moor Farm in the Water Parks, where I was hopeful of seeing bullfinches and possibly  a reed bunting.  

A lot of water was laying around on the entrance to the nature reserve and I was glad of the wellies again. It is only a short walk to the hide from the car park, and I sat down at the window overlooking the feeders, with the lake on my right. A  male bullfinch was sitting in a nearby bush whilst numerous blue tits and great tits feasted on the peanuts in a hanging feeder.  

During my visit there, I also saw dunnock, magpie, male reed bunting, long tailed tits and male and female chaffinches. As the light began to fade, the bird table became a frenzy of activity, with three bullfinches,  2 male and 1 female all joining in 

A nice start to the new year.
male bullfinch


great tit

view across lake in the late afternoon sun

reed bunting

long tailed tit


long tailed tits






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...