Saturday 18 August 2018

CHASING THE BLUES AT LARDON CHASE

One of the butterflies that has eluded me so far is the Adonis blue, so on reading that there had been good numbers at the NT Lardon Chase, Bucks, I decided to drive over there on the Friday afternoon after returning early that morning from holiday.

There was the promise of a bit of sun although a slight breeze, so I was hopeful of adding this species to my year list. On entering the reserve, I stopped. On a sign on the gate it read  Beware 'Cows, calves and a bull in this field'!

I looked across the reserve and could see a herd of black cattle in the distance, mostly grazing facing away from me. I knew that I would need to keep an eye on them, as they can quickly change direction and would easily reach me if they wanted to!  I therefore decided that I would have to forego the nice walk that I would have liked to do, and concentrate on looking for butterflies in the area of field near to me. There was quite a lot of wild marjoram in places which would attract a variety of species. Whenever the sun came out, a few butterflies would flutter around. Initially I saw several common blue, but then a brighter, more turquoise butterfly appeared amongst them... an adonis blue. Well, I had achieved what I came for anyway!.

I ventured a little further downhill,  searching for butterflies but soon noticed that the cattle had now turned and were slowly returning uphill towards me. I decided not to take any risks, and retraced my steps until I was within 50 metres of the gate. I found a small copper butterfly and then two brown argus as well as the common and adonis blue I'd already seen.

Not wanting to take any chances I decided not to remain on the reserve any longer, so feeling a little disappointed not to have had a longer visit, I returned to the car park and then home.

distant cows

adonis blue



brown argus

common blue


small copper

cows now returning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...