Tuesday 21 August 2018

SLIMBRIDGE SANDPIPERS

Finding myself with a day to spare, I spent several hours catching up with what's going on at Slimbridge WWT Centre. As usual, I visited the Rushy Pen hide first where it was pretty quiet, although   I was pleased to see several green sandpipers had arrived although I didn't locate any little ringed plovers.  Further along the Holden walkway, I was able to find the wood sandpiper which obligingly came fairly close to the Robbie Garnett hide and I spent a while watching and photographing it.  From the Holden Tower,  could be seen cattle grazing on the sea wall, with at least one yellow wagtail amongst them. 
Around the reserve the usual waders were in evidence; black tailed godwit, ruff, avocet, lapwing, and geese and ducks included Canada goose, greylag, Egyptian and barnacle geese, teal, gadwall, mallard and shoveler.  Half a dozen cranes were seen too. 

avocet

green sandpiper

lapwing

wood sandpiper








Finally, who could resist these cute flamingo chicks that have featured in the news recently. One of them looked only a day or so old. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...