Tuesday 13 November 2018

GREAT NORTHERN DIVER

After having missed a Hoopoe near Lyneham yesterday, I was  more successful in locating a great northern diver at Coln country park just outside Lechlade  this afternoon.  I parked up, and walked part way round the lake, every so often checking through my binoculars as gaps in the reeds allowed a decent view. 
 After a while the bird in question popped into my view. It was drifting with the wind back toward the way I had come, and I realised if it continued to do so, it would become slightly nearer as the lake narrowed. This did, in fact happen, although as it became slightly nearer it started to dive which it had not done so far. One dive  brought up a crayfish which I managed to capture. 
According to reports, this bird is an adult  moulting in winter plumage, and although not exactly a twitch, ((no one else was looking for it!) it was another tick for my year list!







No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...