Saturday 13 July 2019

JUST A GLIMPSE

I've spent four days this week trying to get a decent view of the Purple Emperor butterfly. With its preference for leaving the tree tops in the mornings, it is difficult to  actually see one at close quarters if you work mornings, as I do. 

However, with my last a Saturday morning free for the next few weeks, I got to Bernwood Forest at 8.30.am. and joined  a few other butterfly seekers who were already there. It was sunny at the time, and good numbers of silver washed fritillaries were feeding from the bramble flowers, along with comma, red admiral, gatekeeper, ringlet, meadow brown and large skippers.  Someone spotted a purple hairstreak which had come down to feed near the ground, and gave opportunity for a few photos. 
Most of the morning, however, was spent scanning the tops of the oaks, both in the carpark and down the track.  Eventually we were able to identify at least three purple emperors as they circled the tops of the trees, together with one or two white admirals. Sadly the sky clouded over mid- morning, and I decided that just a glimpse would have to do as these large butterflies prefer the sunshine.  I am not sure if I will be able to make a return visit, or perhaps make a trip down to Savernake Forest, slightly nearer home,  which I also visited this week, but did not even get a sighting despite reports of regular sightings the previous day! 

silver washed fritillary and comma

gatekeeper
purple hairstreak (female)



No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...