Wednesday 3 July 2019

BLUES AND WHITES

Lovely butterfly weather again today, so I headed over  to Daneway Banks again to see if the slight increase in cloud compared with last time, would encourage the Large Blues to open their wings for me. 

There were only a couple of other cars in the layby, and consequently few people visiting the reserve today. I headed towards the area where I saw the Large Blues last week,  and before long, found a few butterflies perched on the long grasses (wings closed!) and  several flying.  It was still sunny, but then a large patch of cloud covered the sun, so I slowly scanned the edges of the paths looking for glimpses of blue amongst the flowers and grass. Eventually I  found  one, wings almost fully open. Then futher on, a pristine specimen, which posed beautifully for me. Not a great variety of other butterfly species seen today, just the usual meadow browns, marbled whites, small heath and ringlet. 






Having only spent an hour there, I decided that I would still have time to revisit Ravensroost again today, to look again for the white letter hairstreak. This time I was the only car in the car park. I slowly walked down the main track, stopping for a while to look for the WLH at the usual place, but seeing nothing. I continued towards the pond where I saw the White Admiral yesterday but none were   seen, until I started to return to the car when one came into view, fluttering  above the bramble at the edge of the track, before finally settling to feed. 




A few silver washed fritillaries rushed past now and then, but then on the track, one of them stopped for a while.
Having another look for the WLH I eventually spotted a small  brown butterfly flying about the hazel and then landing; happily it turned out to be a WLH although it never came completely into  view. 


Overall a good day for butterflies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...