Friday 2 August 2019

AISH TOR

It  was only a slight possibility that I might find a High Brown Fritillary at Aish Tor, seeing as their flight period is virtually its end, but as I was in Devon, I thought it was worth a try. It would have been good to be able to write that I did manage to find one, but sadly there were no fritillaries flying at all, not even dark green or an early second brood small pearl bordered fritillary. Admittedly I wasn't exactly sure that I was searching in the right spot, I had located a car park that had been used as a starting point for a previous field meeting, but no one else was around so I couldn't even ask! 

Nevertheless, the views were beautiful, a few Dartmoor ponies were around, and plenty of other butterflies, namely gatekeepers, small heath, whites,  a painted lady, red admiral and surprisingly to me good numbers of graylings ( new sighting for the year)  near the summit where the bracken was replaced by heather for the most part. 

It was a hot day, and I was quite glad to return to my car after an hour or so of looking, knowing that I had a two and a half journey home from my couple of days holiday with my daughter and family. A few photos from my visit are below, but it was hard to get any decent photos of butterflies today. 
path through the bracken

gatekeeper

gatekeepers

pony in the bracken

a view from my walk

looking upwards where the grayling were found

stonechat

grayling

grayling

painted lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...