Thursday 8 August 2019

KINGFISHER ACTIVITY

Having packed this morning in readiness for  an early start for Cornwall tomorrow, I decided I'd have time to fit in a quick trip to Farmoor Reservoir. My reasons for wanting to go were twofold; firstly there had been reports from a local   birder of kingfisher activity in front of  the Shrike meadow hide; secondly, I hoped to get a couple more sightings for my year list. 

With warm sunny weather and little breeze, it was a pleasant walk across the causeway. I checked out the gulls and found  a yellow legged gull on one of the rafts, alongside some cormorants, then further along, a small group of waders contained a couple of ringed plovers, a sanderling and a dunlin. 

Having attempted a few photos, I then progressed to the Shrike meadow hide, where, as expected several other birders were poised with lenses at the ready, waiting for the arrival of one of two juvenile kingfishers. I heard that there had been already two visits to the perching post this morning, so settled down to wait. Just in front of me a couple of red admiral butterflies were nectaring, and a reed warbler had a nest just visible in the reeds in  front  of the hide, which it kept returning to. I don't know if it had young in there, I couldn't hear any cheeping. 

After an hour's wait, everyone in the hide suddenly pointed their lenses towards the perching post; a kingfisher had arrived and was posing nicely for photos. Suddenly it flew off onto a nearby branch where it again waited, before diving into the water and returning to its original perch. It then flew off, only to return a few minutes later. There was the constant noise of cameras clicking for a short time, before it left again. 

I decided not to wait any longer, but made my way slowly back along the causeway to the car. An enjoyable couple of hours. 
kingfisher


reed warbler nest just visible through the reeds

yellow legged gulls on raft



waders - sanderling, dunlin and ringed plovers

sanderling

ringed plover

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...