Monday 20 July 2020

BBOWT RESERVES IN BERKSHIRE



I started out today in hope of adding some new  dragonflies to my  list of sightings which I've started this year. I planned to visit a couple of nature reserves near Padworth, starting with a walk at Padworth common where golden ringed dragonflies are among the species mentioned, follwed by Decoy heath which according to BBOWT boasts 23 species of dragonfies and damselflies.

On arrival at Padworth Common, I found I was the only car in the carpark. I knew that there was a pond somewhere so went to the information board to take a look.  Whilst reading it, a lady and her grandson (complete with butterfly net!) came back   down one of the paths. I asked them about a pond, but was told that they had all dried up! So much for the reccommendation by the Wildlife trust to spend half an hour sitting near the main pond watching darting dragonflies and damselflies! Nevertheless I took a quick walk in the direction of the pond, but found it was completely bereft of water, although there were a couple of ruddy/common darters there, and several butterflies. 

My next stop therefore   was therefore  Decoy Heath, only a couple of roads away. I found the car park designated in the guide book but the gate was locked and there was no signage indicating a wildlife reserve!  I wasn't having much success so far!! 

Being quite near to the village of Mortimer, I decided to have a search for grayling butterflies which I have seen regularly at an area  which forms part of a conifer plantation. I parked outside the gate - which looked pretty unused and hoped it would not be needed! A ten minute walk took me to a gravel  area beside a small water filled quarry area where  I expected to see several graylings. However, I saw none, although I did notice that the gravel area was somewhat more overgrown than last time I visited. Thinking maybe it was a bit early in the season, (although they have been recorded already this year) , I turned and  wandered back to the car again. There were quite a few small skippers and gatekeepers about but then I noticed a couple of  duller brown butterflies fluttering at the edge of the track. On closer inspection they turned out to be what I had been looking for -  graylings, typically settling on gravel or bits of bark, and shutting their wings quickly to camouflage themselves. They were certainly hard to find once they had settled, unless you had followed them very carefully to see where they landed. I took a few photos, glad that I had at least achieved one of my aims for the day!!











Having spent less time than originally planned at some of the reserves, I realised I would have time to revisit Greenham Common. Once parked,  I ate my picnic in the car before  heading over to one of the pond areas.  I followed a path round the side, next to some bushes and  noticed several emperor dragonflies patrolling the water. One eventually did stop and flew to a gorse bush from which it hung motionless. for a while. I also spotted a couple of black tailed skimmers However, with people picnicking nearby and .a popular place for dogs to have a swim, I decided to leave and try another area. 

At a second pond, which was in a quieter, more secluded area, I started to walk round the shore line, and every so often heard a 'plop' as something entered the water right in front of me... frogs! There were at least half a dozen that  I saw, one of which presented with  me some lovely views of its swimming ability!  At the other end of the pool, I noticed what they describe in story books-  a frog on a lily pad!  The pink  waterlily flowers looked amazing in the sun. Here again were several emperor dragonflies, including three egg-laying females. There were also a couple of brown hawkers, but they were not stopping for any photos, as usual. 

I stood watching the tranquil scene; hearing an occasional 'plop' from a frog entering the water, or a rustle as a dragonfly touched its wings against some reeds, until it was time to leave for home. 
emperor dragonfly

black tailed skimmer

female emperor dragonfly egg laying



frog!










wtaer lilies on the pond

second pond

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...