Thursday 30 July 2020

SEVEN BARROWS


Seven barrows is a Nature Reserve owned by the BBOWT near Lambourn (famous for its race horses). As well as being  of archaelological interest, it provides an area of chalk grassland, rich in flowers  which attract a wide range of butterflies. 


I had recently discovered the existence of this small reserve so when looking for somewhere local to visit on a warm sunny day, but with limited time at my disposal I decided explore it  for the first time as it is situated less than 30 minutes away. 

I arrived just after 11 am, parking in the small car parking area  just outside the reserve. It was almost a cloudless sky with temperatures gradually rising.  One other car was already parked there, and I could see  someone in the distance at the other side of the meadow, However he went shortly afterwards so  I had the reserve to myself.  I  followed the flattened grass path which led from the gateway  and  started to meander through the reserve. However  it soon fizzled out and I was left  to find my own path amongst the many wild flowers growing there. 
I soon spotted meadow browns and gatekeepers but  it was a little while before the number of butterflies flying began to steadily increase. However I eventually l  made a good count of  16 species of butterfly, 

Although butterflies were present throughout  the whole of the reserve area,  some large patches of wild marjoram were  attracting  the most   species.
These included small blue, common blue, chalkhill blue, small copper, small heath,  peacock, small tortoiseshell,  meadow brown, gatekeeper, brimstone, small white,  green veined white, brown argus, marbled white, ringlet and small skipper.

brown argus

chalkhill blue

entrance to reserve
path through reserve


green veined white

marbled white

meadow brown

peacock

ringlet

small blue

small copper


small copper


small skipper


small white


chalkhill  blue



























No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...