Saturday 4 September 2021

LOWER MOOR FARM



 It looked like being a beautiful autumn day so I headed out late morning to the Cotswold Water park, I wasn't looking for anything special,  but on the past couple of visits to Lower Moor Farm it had been damp so I thought I'd go again and just enjoy being out and about. There could well be a few butterflies and dragonflies about and maybe a bird or two. 

I parked in the last available space in the car park ( I later realised there was a children's activity morning  in the Education centre ) and took the route past the newly opened Dragonfly cafe, ( I must have a coffee there one day!)  A   bird of prey flew past  and as I came out into the open I could see a kestrel perched on the wire above me  being mobbed by a couple of swallows

As I followed one of the paths around the reserve, I  came across several buddleias which had attracted a number of butterflies. These were mostly Red Admirals but I also saw a painted lady, small white and a small tortoiseshell.  Speckled woods were regularly seen in the hedgerows. 

Near the lakes and ponds there were plenty of dragonflies, which I stayed to watch for a while; these included brown hawkers and migrant hawkers ( first for year) as well as common damselflies and common/ruddy darters.  

kestrel



painted lady

track with buddleias

brimstone

one of the lakes at Lower Moor Farm
                                                             migrant hawker (m)





Dragonfly cafe - it looks out onto the lake


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...