Tuesday 21 September 2021

WRYNECK - FOR THE RECORD

  I've never seen a wryneck before so when looking at the local Oxon Birding Blog I  was interested to see that one had been seen for a couple of days recently at Lark Hill, near Wantage. 

The location looked fairly easy to find, especially as someone had kindly given a link to the exact spot  where the bird was being seen and a description of a group of a few bushes which it seemed to be favouring. I waited till this morning to check to see if the wryneck was still there - it was-  so after lunch drove the half an hour trip over to Wantage. I arrived at the same time as someone else who introduced himself and I recognised him as a birder I'd met before at a couple of other sites.  It was about a half mile walk across an undulating track through  farmland but eventually we reached a spot where a couple of birders were already positioned . On the way we had met a returning birder who said  the wryneck had not been seen for an hour or more so I prepared for a bit of a wait.

As we approached we could see the two birders with binoculars looking down the track ahead   and we hurried to join them, guessing that the wryneck was in view. Yes they said, but it had just flown back into a bush! Bother!  However, it was not long before it reappeared on the path, and we had a clear view, albeit very distant, too distant for a photo. A few more birders now joined the group and someone tentatively suggested we move forward a little whilst still maintaining a respectful distance. 

We did so and the  bird reappeared  several times during the next hour or so I was there, but sadly still too distant for any photograph to give more than an outline of its dark shape. Apparently there have been wrynecks seen at this spot on four occasions over recent years. Maybe there is a convenient ants nest nearby for it to feast on!  It was difficult to get much an idea of its size and colouring from such a distance and   I have to say that, had I been on my own, I may have moved  closer but I didn't want to upset anyone!  A recent photograph on the blog gave rise to the consideration as to how close that photographer had actually got, or whether he had an extremely good lens!

There came a bit of a lull when the wryneck seemed to be remaining out of sight for longer than  usual so I decided to come away.  However, I was pleased to seen a 'lifer' and to have found a new location for birdwatching. 


The photo  shows the distance from where we stood to the bushes where the bird was seen on the track. 

Below is  a terrible picture of the wryneck taken from a distance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...