Monday 25 April 2022

FARMOOR WARBLERS AND WAGTAILS

I paid a late afternoon visit to the Reservoir and nature reserves at Farmoor today. A short shower as I arrived quickly cleared away and I enjoyed a couple of hours of pleasant sunshine which also provided four new birds for the year. I saw my first yellow wagtail as I crossed the causeway but  apart from that it was relatively quiet. 

However as I took the footpath down to the Pinkhill reserve and River Thames there was plenty of birdsong to be heard. I managed to find a garden warbler, which I missed last year so was quite pleased about that.  A grasshopper warbler was reeling in some rough ground but was so well camouflaged  I couldn't locate it at all, even though it sounded pretty close by. However, a common whitethroat was much more obliging, singing at the top of a tree in the hedgerow. 



whitethroat





 the only shot I could get of the garden warbler

 my first yellow wagtail of the year

a group of yellow wagtails were on the shoreline as I returned






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...