Saturday 23 April 2022

SWEET NIGHTINGALE AT CROOKHAM COMMON

 


Some weeks back I was talking to another birder about the Dartford warblers I'd seen at Greenham Common. He mentioned that he'd seen nightingales at Crookham Common which is the other end of the runway and that they could be heard during the day from the Crookham carpark and could often be seen too at this time of year when they have recently aririved in this country for the summer.  

So when I had a short notice invitation to visit my daughter at Burghfield Common I decided to leave extra early and make a detour to look for them myself. I  wasn't completely sure what the  nightingale song sounded like but hoped that I would  recognise it!  I parked at what appeared to be the quieter end of the car park and wound down my windows to listen, but it was hard to distinguish any particular bird with the noise of passing traffic. So I decided to follow a short trail which led from the car park to see if  I had any success there but I only heard blackcaps, chiffchaffs and willow warblers.

A bit disappointed I got back into the car and then thought I'd park at the opposite side  and have a listen from there.. just in case. I was glad I did!  Through the open window came a new and beautiful song ... it must surely be a nightingale!  I was surprised how loud it was and realised the bird must be quite  close by. Getting cautiously out of the car I grabbed my camera and binoculars and walked slowly in the direction  of the song which was coming from down one of the paths. The I saw the nightingale... sitting up on a branch ahead of me and singing for all its worth!!  I was able to take a few shots before it flew across the path and  continued to sing from a tree in front of me.. but sadly out of view!  After a burst of song,it flew off , but left me feeling elated to  have seen  and heard a bird that is often hard to find.





               

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...