Thursday 22 September 2022

ALONG THE CAUSEWAY AT FARMOOR

 


After finishing work at lunch time today I drove over to Farmoor Reservoir where a number of waders had been seen on the causeway recently. The causeway is an excellent spot for obtaining close views of a variety of waders as they stop off on their journeys. Yesterday a little stint was reported, and when I checked today I saw that a curlew sandpiper was also present. 

I decided it was worth a visit to see if either of these birds were still there, as I hadn't yet included them on my year list, neither did I see them last year.  

I hadn't gone very far along the causeway when I noticed a group of waders along the shore edge.  A couple of photographers were already watching them and they pointed out to me the little stint feeding amongst  a group of dunlins,, identifiable by its smaller size and patterned plumage on its back, which displayed a white V sign. 

Further along, I was told that the curlew sandpiper was close to the far end, alongside a ruff. It didn't take me long to find them both, as some birders were already there, lenses pointing down at the shoreline. The ruff appeared a little lame, but was feeding easily enough, though spent more time resting than the sandpiper, which continuously made its way searching for food along the edge, then returning the way it had come. 

Having spent quite a bit of time watching and photographing the waders I returned along the causeway, spotting a little egret fishing in the shallows right at the end. A satisfying afternoon!



sailing at Farmoor reservoir

little stint creeping past some resting dunlins !

little stint

dunlin



curlew sandpiper




ruff


little egret






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...