Friday 14 October 2022

FORAY ACROSS THE BRIDGE

I was reading another birder's blog yesterday and noticed they'd been over to Goldcliff Lagoons near Newport this week to see a grey phalarope which has been there a couple of days. I've not seen one of those birds for a long time, so with a day off work today, I decided to make a trip over the Severn Bridge and visit both Goldcliff lagoons and the neighbouring RSPB reserve known as Newport Wetlands. 

After checking the weather, I decided to leave a bit later than usual as it was forecast rain followed later in the day by cloud and sunshine. I therefore arrived at just gone 10 o'clock having passed through several spells of rain on the way but it was now drying up and I was hopeful it would stay dry.

There were quite a few other cars parked along the edge of the road near the entrance to the Goldcliff reserve, so I felt fairly optimistic the phalarope was still around. The grass was still wet underfoot as I made my way along the path stopping to look in a couple of (empty) hides on the way. Then I reached a viewing platform which held a number of people with telescopes and binoculars etc. and after joining them I scanned the lagoon in front of us. It didn't take me long to locate the tiny winter plumaged phalarope swimming amongst a flock of godwit. It was doing its usual swimming habit of turning in circles regularly poking its bill into the water. Sadly, it was a little too distant for some decent photos, but nevertheless I enjoyed watching it through my binoculars. The last time I saw one of these little birds was at Farmoor Reservoir where it was so confiding, you could get within only a few metres of it. From the hide I could also see several grey plovers on the mud and a total of eleven little egrets and a grey heron. 

The sun was beginning to come out as I left the platform and continued around the reserve; from the next view point I could make out some redshanks at the far end of the flock of black tailed godwits and noticed that the little egrets had been joined by a spoonbill.  Further on I stopped to enquire from a photographer what he had seen amongst the reeds, as he had his camera pointed at something, and he showed me a female kingfisher perched low down at the front of the reeds; I would never have seen it myself. It left the perch and dived into the water, returning with a small fish which it soon devoured though was partly hidden behind some reeds this time before flying off to another section of the reedbed out of sight. 

After spending a couple of hours at Goldcliff, I made the short journey round to the RSPB reserve. I ate my lunch in the car before passing through visitor centre and out on to the reserve. I have never seen large numbers of birds on any of my previous visits and today was no exception. Perhaps it is better in spring, but I am usually birding nearer home at that time of year. I listened for the 'pinging' of bearded tits but couldn't hear any, neither saw any which was a bit disappointing. At the only hide, there was a good number of ducks, mostly mallard and teal, but I did also spot a pintail there too. On the mudflats there were several curlew.

After a quick cup of tea in the cafe and a browse in the shop, I made my way home, very pleased that I have now reached a total of 170 bird species this year! 25 more than last year with still a couple of months to go. 




Kingfisher F


mute swans flypast



grey phalarope

spoon bill

grey phalarope


grey plover








No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...