Friday 20 January 2023

MORE JANUARY BIRDING

 Just thought I'd add a few birds I've seen in the Cotswolds and surrounding area recently. I took a  trip to look for bramblings in the Cotswolds but only found some red legged partridges feeding in a field near to the road,  whilst a short walk at Whelford pools nature reserve produced three male goosanders and some red crested pochards which I've added to my list for this year. 

male goosanders

red legged partridge

I paid a visit to Coate Water Country park earlier this week  and found more goosanders and ticked off the resident black swan. There were various small birds around the feeding area which someone had liberally sprinkled with bird food and I got into  conversation with a gentleman, a newcomer to birding and told him about the U3A group which he seemed interested in. I was able to point him out a nuthatch which he'd never seen before. 
view at Coate water

long tailed tit

black swan


At Whelford Pools I found my first bullfinch of the year, a female seen from the carpark, and then found yet more goosanders. Apart from that it was very quiet. 

female goosander

male goosander
making a getaway!




This morning I planned a trip to Otmoor, hoping to get some frosty photographs but as it turned out, it was a bit milder than lately so the frost was only on the ground in the shadier places. It was, however, still a cold morning, and the frozen ground was a welcome relief from the usual squelchy mud along the bridle way.  The frozen water meant that there was little in the way of water birds but the main activity was the large numbers of finches - reed buntings, yellow hammers and linnets - which were taking advantage of the seed thrown down for them viewable from the  Wetland Watch hide. 


robin reminding me of the Starling murmurations

pair of reed buntings

reed bunting (m)

yellow hammer


reed bunting (f)





linnet flock





view from hide - the brown dots are the birds feeding on the seed

reed bunting (m)

 linnet


pheasants beneath feeders at Otmoor







 




No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...