Monday 30 January 2023

VERY QUIET AT FARMOOR

I thought I'd try to find the Scaup at Farmoor reservoir today as we'd failed to find it at Slimbridge on Saturday. It had been reported  yesterday on F1, the smaller of the two basins but although I  had a good look through my binoculars and walked along the causeway, I couldn't spot it. There wasn't much in the way of waterbirds apart from vast numbers of coots. There were a few tufted ducks but the Scaup wasn't amongst the ones I looked at. 

I  walked down to the two hides, and on the way spotted a single great crested grebe which was  very photogenic today, I rather hoped I'd find some little grebes or little egrets but there were none about. But the grebe was the first I've seen this year so that went down as a year tick anyway.  

The hides were both quiet apart from the feeders where I saw blue and great tits and some reed warblers with some mallards swimming around nearby. Although sunny there was quite a cold breeze and I must admit I didn't walk the circuits of either basins so maybe the Scaup was there... I guess  I'll find out when I read the blog.












No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...