Friday 3 February 2023

MORE BIRDS AT SLIMBRIDGE

As I had a free day today and  it was quite mild, albeit cloudy, I decided to try and find a dipper on the River Frome in the centre of Stroud and then go on to pay a further visit to Slimbridge as it was only 20 minutes or so further on. 

After parking in the public car park adjoining Waitrose, I descended the steps from the car park, crossed the road and entered the nature reserve where the dippers can be sometimes found. I say sometimes as I was unsuccessful last year although on previous occasions I have usually found both dipper and grey wagtail along this fast flowing river in a narrow wooded valley. I followed the usual path which runs alongside the water, and came to the end of the reserve without seeing anything of note. Turning back, I hadn't gone long before I caught sight of a bird flying out from the vegetation under the bank on my side and flying low upstream.  Around a bend I saw the bird on a short branch poking up out of the water at a distance which I identified as  a by its white bib and bouncing motion, but it was only there for a few seconds before flying off upstream again.  Sadly I was unable to re-find it, despite walking the entire length of the reserve and back again. However, at least I know that it is still there, and I can add it to my year list.

From Stroud, I then went on to Slimbridge WWT to see if I could locate the scaup and one or two other birds I'd missed on my visit last week. At the Rushy hide I asked the only occupant if he had found the scaup. He looked at me a bit puzzled and asked what it looked like!  I started to scan the area where it might be found at the rear of the pond, but before I had had a good look, a couple of other people came in discussing the scaup and holding  a telescope. This would be more promising I thought, and in a few minutes they were able to point it out to me. 

After watching it for a while, I then took the path up towards the Estuary tower ,stopping off at the Willow hide where I'd heard the water rail had been seen earlier. I asked a lady if she'd seen it  and she said no and left  shortly after. However. it wasn't long before it appeared from the reeds for a few minutes before heading back in. After a short wait, it  reappeared and I was able to get a better view of it; in fact it kept popping in and out of the reeds to peck at the food under the bird feeders and when I passed the hide again it was still around.

Upstairs in the Estuary Tower I had views of the usual geese species, and from the side window could make out a ruff amongst the many birds on the Tack piece which was a first for the year. The cape shelduck hybrid was also in this part of the reserve.

Whilst eating my packed lunch in the heated Peng observatory some people nearby pointed out a pair of oyster catchers, another first sighting of the year. 

Before leaving for home, I visited the indoor Discovery hide where I  heard  the oyster catchers  calling before they landed briefly on the causeway before flying off again, and I also found a snipe and a common gull on the scrape.

Having added the additional species I was hoping for I decided to make my way home. 

Bewicks swan


swans flying over the many birds on the Tack Piece

cape shelduck hybrid

house sparrow

lapwings

pintail

scaup

shelduck and tufted duck

snipe

view from hide

male teal


tufted duck






















wigeon


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...