Saturday 4 March 2023

LESS IS MORE AT FARMOOR

 A few days ago a Lesser Scaup, a  rarer diving duck than its cousin the Greater Scaup,  was found at Farmoor Reservoir near Oxford and as this would be 'lifer' for me I decided to drive over to see it. Although cold, the north wind was relatively light and walking the causeway was not the battle it sometimes can be!!


I have seen several Greater Scaups, usually at Farmoor Reservoir, and currently there are two at Slimbridge WWT. Smaller than the Greater Scaup, the Lesser Scaup is about the size of tufted duck and resembles the male of that species but with a greyer back and more marked, whitish sides and no tuft on its head.  This shows in the video below where both can be seen together. 

 Earlier in the morning the duck had been reported in front of the cafe, in other words just a short stroll from the car park. But by the time I arrived it had moved and was with some tufted ducks further out in the reservoir but  seemed to be heading in the direction of the causeway so I started walking in that direction. It was hard to pick it out amongst the ducks and coots but by following the group of birders who were all making their way along the causeway I caught up with it  where it was swimming not too far off from the shore. It stayed with a group of three tufted ducks, which made a useful comparison,  and like them, it dived frequently. 

I spotted a friend's  son amongst the birders so started chatting and then we both continued along the causeway so I could  show him where the hides and nature reserve were as he was unfamiliar with the site apart from the reservoir itself.

From the Shrike Meadow we heard and saw  a flock of siskins in the alders by the hide and then spent some time watching and photographing birds around the feeders including good numbers of reed buntings. As I returned across the causeway the Lesser Scaup was no longer in sight, but judging by the presence of photographers, it had probably relocated on the far side of the reservoir! I was, however, shown a rock pipit which I added to my year list. 

So a enjoyable morning, for which I am grateful to whoever found the duck in the first place and to all those other more observant birders who point me in  the right direction  and find those sought after rarities! 















No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...