Friday 21 April 2023

START OF MY BUTTERFLY YEAR

With the weather colder than usual, there hasn't been much in the way of butterfly activity recently but now I am beginning to see a few species emerging to start my butterfly year list. Back in February I saw my first Red Admiral (1) at Lower Moor Farm in some winter sunshine then in the middle of March I started to see Brimstone (2) butterflies fluttering along the hedgerows, my first one  being on 17 March whilst driving between Tadley and Greenham Common. 

On 27 March I found a Small Tortoiseshell (3) sunning itself on the wall outside the school where I work as I left at lunchtime and then during the Easter holidays, spotted my first Peacock (4)  butterfly whilst staying in Cambridge with my sister.  Apart from Brimstones I saw nothing else until a visit to Slimbridge  WWT  on 8 April produced a  Speckled Wood (5) on some nettles along a sheltered walkway then later in April (20th) I found a couple of Orange Tips (6) and a Comma (7) in a sheltered part of the nature reserves by the River Thames at Farmoor Reservoir ( a brisk NE wind was blowing along the causeway). 


     Speckled wood at Slimbridge  WWT


Comma at Farmoor

Orange-tip at Farmoor



No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...