Saturday 16 September 2023

FARLINGTON MARSHES

I had a spare Saturday morning so decided that with nothing particular that took my fancy locally, I'd venture further afield to a reserve that I'd not visited before,  near Portsmouth. Farlington Marshes is a coastal reserve and mostly popular for viewing wintering wildfowl but also has good numbers of waders at this time of the year.

It was a warm day, and although exposed to the sea, there was little wind and it was a pleasant walk around the 2.5 perimeter of the reserve. Initially I caught up with a small group of female  birders who were pleased to help me identify some of the waders on the mudflat which could only be distantly identified with 'scopes although I could see the birds themselves in my binoculars. These included grey plovers, turnstones and a group of knot. I stayed around with the group for a little while as we looked over a small lagoon and some reed beds then decided to move on as I wanted to get round the whole of the reserve in the time I had.  Although bearded tits can often be seen on the reserve, we could neither hear or see any today which was a pity. 

Other birds of note were about a dozen or more ringed plovers interspersed with a few dunlin, good numbers of little egret and a large group of oyster catchers. 

After completing the walk I re visited the lagoon where  the rising tide had caused a large flock of grey plover to gather  and I could more easily make out their changing plumage.  There were also some yellow wagtails to be seen. Altogether I saw 40 species of bird so was pleased with that, including a couple new for the year. 



large numbers of oyster catchers on the mud

ringed plover

view towards Langstone harbour


grey plover



reed beds but no beardies. The yellow wagtails were on the reddish patch



No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...