Monday 25 September 2023

GREY PHALROPE





With many reports of rare migrants turning up on our shores, it was perhaps inevitable that Farmoor reservoir would  present something of interest... and last Saturday a grey phalarope was reported.  These small waders are usually quite confiding and some tend to hang around for a few days, so I was hopeful that I would be able to see it on Monday after I finished work. 

I checked the local birding blog and it had been reported on F2 along the causeway at 8 am so I went straight to Farmoor from school. I checked with a couple of returning birders who told me that it had moved to the NE corner of F1 so I made for that point, which wasn't too far from the entrance. There was only one other person there and at first I couldn't make out where the bird was but then found it swimming bravely over the waves, sometimes hardly visible in the swell. It was only about a few metres from the shoreline and seemed quite unaffected by the visits of various birders who stopped by to photograph it. 
Last time a grey phalarope visited the reservoir was back in 2016 so I was pleased to see another one after a long wait. I also saw the rarer red necked phalarope there in 2017. 

Returning to the car, I stopped to photograph a rather sleepy dunlin which was just standing on the shore, either with its  beak tucked under its wing or just watching the water or preening. 














compare size with a black headed gull




photo taken from where the dunlin was on the shoreline,  the phalarope around corner in the photo. 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...