Saturday 21 October 2023

OTTERS AT LOWER MOOR FARM

 It was a rather drizzly start to Saturday but I thought I'd go over to Lower Moor Farm and spend some time in one of the hides to try out my new camera. It was very quiet and in fact from the first two hides there was no bird life to see at all!  At the third hide heron was perched at the far side of the pool and I was quite pleased with the results my camera gave in rather low light.

On  leaving the  hide, I  saw a couple of visitors with cameras approaching and they told me they'd seen one  of the resident otters close to them on the 'fishing lake' although it had taken fright on seeing them and swam off to the opposite of the lake.

I made for the spot where they'd last seen the otter and after scanning through my binoculars for a short time, saw some movement in the distance and three otters swimming and diving in unison.  They surfaced and dived once or twice then disappeared into the bank behind some trees. 

A path alongside the lake led to a viewing point somewhat nearer and I took this path, eventually stopping at a break in the hedge. I could hear the barking, yelping noises of the otters fairly near then heard a splash. One of them then appeared swimming about ten metres away before retreating out of site. I did manage a couple of photos though which again I was pleased with. After this I decided to return home as there wasn't really much other action. 

Back home, my bird feeders were busy and to my surprise I saw a male brambling amongst the tits and finches. I've never seen one in my garden before - a sure sign of autumn! 



brambling - through window


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...