Wednesday 20 January 2016

LOWER MOOR FARM AND BLAKEHILL RESERVES

It was such a beautiful winter's day today. A hard frost followed by lots of sunshine. As soon as I finished  from work, I took my sandwiches and  having filled a flask with hot chocolate drink, drove over to these two reserves on the Cotswold Water park.

At  Lower Moor Farm,  the lake was frozen, but when I put out some bird seed, the bird table soon became very busy. I had some lovely views of bullfinches, the male one stayed around for ages, as well, as reed buntings, dunnock,chaffinches, robin, blackbird, blue tits, and great tits. 

However, it wasn't only the birds that were hungry as a family of rats (2 adults and 4 young) spent a long time clearing up the seed on the ground!. It was compensated by sights of a couple of  foxes on the opposite side of the lake though!




















I then went on to Blakehill; no short eared owls ( they usually come later on towards evening) or stonechat, but there were fieldfares, and redwings, as well as blue tits, robin, long tailed tits and a tree creeper. 






1 comment:

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...