Tuesday 3 January 2017

SLIMBRIDGE HIGHLIGHTS

The last day of the school holidays dawned sunny  and frosty so I left at 8.30 am  to get to Slimbridge in good time. 

I'd heard that the Kingfisher hide had been getting busy with regular sightings of bitterns so that's where I made for straightaway. Actually there were only a couple of people there who told me to go the few yards back to the previous hide as bitterns were showing there. I managed to see two of them, one flew out of the reeds over to another area of reeds and disappeared, as I peered through someone's telescope at another one which was skulking at the edge of the reedbed. Although I was able to watch it through my own binoculars making its way along the edge of the reeds , I was unable to get a photo before it disappeared again.  I returned to the same hide a couple of hours later, but  I don't believe they had reappeared, but I did see a water rail there.

There were still a number of Bewick swans on the Rushy Pen where they are fed each morning, but numbers dwindled during the day.  I did a tour of the hides, clocking up a number of new year sightings, before leaving for home, 

species seen:
Bittern
Bewick swan
Greylag goose
Canada goose
mute swan
lapwing
common sandpiper
dunlin
snipe
water rail
tufted duck
mallard
pintail
gadwall
shelduck
shoveler
teal
chaffinch
reed bunting
robin
dunnock
house sparrow
blackbird
blue tit
great tit
long tailed tit
herring gull
lesser black backed gull
black headed gull
crane
buzzard
cormorant
magpie
jackdaw
rook 
crow
wood pigeon
coot moorhen
Bewick's swan
Bewick's and shelduck
Bewick's swan
buzzard


pintail

teal

snipe
Rushy pen








No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...