Saturday 14 January 2017

WLIDLIFE AT LOWER MOOR F\RM

Just before lunch today, I filled a flask with some soup and  headed off for Lower Moor Farm a WWT reserve in the water parks; the weather was dry with a little sun, and a bit milder. My aim was to see some bullfinches which are  regular visitors to the bird table.

On arrival the car park was busy, so I anticipated a full hide, but when I opened the door it was empty! So after topping up the feeding station with bird seed ( kept in a bin outside the hide)  I settled down with a view of the bird feeders in front of me and the lake on my right. 

It was not long before the regulars arrived, tits, robins, a dunnock etc and a few rats below picking up the spillages. The a female bullfinch pecked around for a bit, while its mate hovered in the bushes nearby, eventually becoming brave enough to venture out. 

Meanwhile some others arrived in the hide, and before long they pointed out a couple of foxes on the other side of the lake, and then to my surprise an otter could be seen in the distance too. I knew they were there but hadn't seen any before. A pleasant afternoon during which I noted the following:


magpie,
dunnock
robin
blackbird
blue tit
great tit
long tailed tit
mallard
heron
kingfisher
cormorant
swan
reed bunting
bullfinch m and f

and on the mammal front:
1 squirrel
1 otter
2 foxes
4 brown rats

serene swan

reed bunting

male  bullfinch



great tit

and a female bullfinch

dunnock

robin

blue tit


 a sleepy fox






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...