Saturday 28 January 2017

RSPB BIG GARDEN BIRDWATCH..

I began my birdwatch at 9 a.m, hoping to catch some early feeding. I wasn't disappointed as within the first 15 minutes I had 8 species and 33 birds. As I had hoped, the fieldfare turned up, also a coal tit which I hadn't seen in my garden for quite a while.  Frustratingly,  a starling and goldfinch turned up too late to be included in the hour... 

Just for comparison, I did a second survey at my parent's house on the other side of the town: the same number of species but a couple of differences. Here it was interesting to see 4 robins all within a metre or so of each other!  Again, a pheasant was around before the start, and a flock of long tailed tits arrived several hours after.

 Some photos  (some taken through a window I'm afraid)  and my results, if you're interested were as follows:
fieldfare eating apples

blue tit

dunnock



coal tit

robin

goldfinches

2 out of 4  robins present

great tit


(My home) 

1    Fieldfare   
1    coal tit       
15  house sparrow 
2    robins     
4    blackbirds     
8    wood pigeons   
1    blue tit    
1    dunnock  
1    crow    
1  great tit    (singing)

35 birds of 10 species

(Also goldfinch and starling)

(My parents home) in a small area with feeders 

1 coal tit     
2 house sparrows
4 robins
2 blackbirds
1 wood pigeon
3 blue tits
2 dunnocks
1 chaffinch (f)
2 goldfinches

18 birds of 10 species

(Also pheasant and long tailed tits)

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...