Saturday 11 March 2017

SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR A CHANGE...

A mild spring Saturday so decided to head over to Thatcham  Nature Discovery centre  which is owned by the Bucks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife trust. I got there before the centre opened so  stopped for a while in front of the centre where various water fowl were gathered. A variety of species to be seen... including canada geese, egyptian geese, mallards, pochard, moorhens, coots. Then I took a walk around the lake, and noted tufted duck, cormorants, black headed gulls.  
canada goose

On returning to the visitor centre I borrowed a key to the reed bed hide, on the way I passed another lake with gadwall, more pochards and tufted ducks on it, and noted blue tits, long tailed tits and great tits in the hedgerows. Sadly the hide didn't give great views of anything as it was awaiting the cutting of the reeds in front of it, but I decided to continue the trail,  toward the canal, where a couple of grey wagtail were flitting about.



grey wagtail

grey wagtail - I love the colour of these birds

pochard

Egyptian goose
willow bursting into bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...