Saturday 17 February 2018

OTMOOR RSPB

I visited RSPB Otmoor today, it was milder than of late and dry with some sunshine. The ground however was soggy and it was a squelch rather than a walk along the bridleway! 

As I left the car park the first birds I saw were bullfinch and longtailed tit, with other tits and common birds at the feeders. 

Along the bridleway were greylags and canada geese and a few stonechats on the reed heads in the distance. At the hide I sat at the window for quite a while watching large numbers of linnets and reed bunting feeding on the ground where food has been provided, joined by blue tits, yellow hammers and goldfinches. At the slightest movement they would quickly retreat to the hedges either side but then return to their feeding seconds later.  A kestrel flew by and a pheasant and moorhen made their way along the track towards the hide. 

As I left the hide I spotted a siskin but it flew off before I could take a record photo (heard that one before!) . 
greylags


linnet

linnet flock

path alongside hide, lots of reed  buntings feeding on the ground
pheasant and chaffinch

female reed bunting


male reed bunting



view from hide window

yellow hammer and linnet

No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...