Monday 9 July 2018

BUTTERFLY FEST AT RAVENSWOOD

Ravenswood is a great place to go for butterflies at the moment.  Woodland butterflies are plentiful, including silver washed fritillaries and the occasional white admiral; also white letter and purple hairstreaks can be found there if you know where to look! They favour the oak and ash trees, and can be seen flitting high up around the edges of the branches, only occasionally coming lower down. 
silver washed fritillaries


Today  I had another attempt at finding a purple hairstreak that I could positively identify. On recent visits I have seen their small grey shapes whizzing up and down the rides but not stopping. I met a couple of photographers who both agreed that they had seen them today but none had stopped. Oh well, it was worth another try I suppose. 

I took my usual route, deciding to go as far as the pond to give me a good chance of seeing some. As I passed the white letter hairstreak hot spot, I looked up and waited but saw none and made a mental note to stop off on my way back, as I had seen them on each previous occasion I had visited. 

Brimstones and other whites were everywhere,  as well as ringlets, and meadow browns. Now and then a silver washed fritillary flew past at great speed. There was an occasional fly past of a purple hairstreak too.  If only one would just stop for a moment! 

female brimstone
male brimstone

green veined white


On reaching the pond, the area was alive with butterfly activity. Everywhere I looked there was one species or another flying or feeding . One or two purple hairstreaks were also tantalisingly close, and one did eventually stop half hidden on a leaf, but at a distance.  
Now and then a silver washed fritillary paused on a bramble, and I  also had sightings of white admiral and peacock, although the white admiral was feeding mostly out of sight.  

  As I was enjoying this hot afternoon with butterflies I suddenly became aware of a small grey butterfly circling lower and lower close to  the path - would it land?  I waited while it flitted about for a bit longer  - and then it did...right at the tip of a small twig jutting out of the top  of a bush close to the path.  At last a purple hairstreak!


purple hairstreak



Mission accomplished I made my way back; nearing the car park, I suddenly noticed a small brown butterfly almost dancing about on the path in front of me, looking closer I could make out the white letter W identifying it as a white letter hairstreak. I crouched down trying to take a photograph, but it was only landing for few seconds, before fluttering on a bit further down the path and barely enough time to focus my camera before it was off again. 
white letter hairstreak


Once back at the car park, I opened the gate and ventured into the meadow adjacent where I spotted several gatekeepers, and marbled whites and the odd small skipper. 

gatekeeper

Before I left, I totalled up the butterfly species I had seen today - a pleasing total of 15 species.

brimstone, green veined white, small white, large white, small skipper, peacock,  meadow brown, ringlet, gatekeeper, white admiral,  purple hairstreak, white letter hairstreak, marbled white, silver washed fritillary and comma. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...