Monday 2 July 2018

SILCHESTER COMMON

Last Friday I was due to visit my daughter who lives only  15 minutes away from Silchester Common so I called there on the way to look for Silver Studded Blue butterflies.

 It was a very hot day as I followed the paths through the bracken interspersed with heather. After standing and watching, I soon spotted a small blue butterfly fluttering over the heather, although it didn't stop. After a further wait, another appeared and was joined by a second, again neither stopping. Eventually one landed, blown about in the breeze and unwilling to open its wings fully, but sufficient for me to identify it by the black edge to its wings and the row of  blue 'studs' on its underwing. Altogether I saw about half a dozen of these little blue butterflies, but it was too hot to stay out in the sun for long I returned to the car, with one more tick for the year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...