Monday 2 July 2018

PRESTBURY HILL

Dark green fritillaries are now on the wing, and I drove the half hour journey from work to the Butterfly conservation's reserve at Prestbury Hill, overlooking Cheltenham race course. 

It was hot (29 degrees), but a breeze made it pleasant to walk down the chalk hillside toward the area known as 'Happy valley' where I've located these fritillaries on previous visits. There were numerous marbled whites around, either fluttering about or nectaring on the purple coloured scabious flowers which dotted the hillside. There were also good numbers of  meadow browns, small heaths, and ringlets. 

marbled white



view from the top of the reserve


When I reached the valley, I stood for a while, noting the many butterflies all around, but without seeing the familiar large orange shape of the fritillary I was looking for. Suddenly I saw one flying quickly past and up and over the bank. Well at least I'd seen one! A further wait  ensued before  it, ( or another one) reappeared and began to nectar on the flowers a little way up the side of the valley. I clambered a few metres up the bank and managed to get a few shots of it before it flew off again.

Although I did see it a couple more times, it did not land, I also  checked out the hillside further along in a neighbouring reserve where I saw a few more of these fritillaries but again no landings!! 

 I think I will need to return on a slightly less breezy and slightly cloudier day which might encourage them to stop more frequently to feed and provide slightly improved photo opportunities. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...