Monday 8 October 2018

EGRETS

On my way home from school at lunchtime, I decided to check out reports of great white egrets at a small nature reserve on the outskirts of Lechlade. There are two lakes here, the first can be viewed from a bench a few metres away from the car parking area. 

On arriving at this viewpoint I saw a kingfisher fly past, which landed on a post on the far side of the lake. I also spotted some sleepy shovelers, green sandpiper, black headed gulls, mallards, gadwall and wigeon. I then made my way down some steps along the path to view the second lake. From a gap in the hedge I spotted the large shape and yellow beak of a great white egret, side by side with a little egret and only a metre or so from its relative, a grey heron!  I walked further around the lake to get a slightly closer view but after a while each bird flew off so I returned to the original lake from where I could now see two little egrets amongst the black headed gulls. In the hedgerows were flocks of blue and great tits, as well as goldcrests and a robin.
autumn lake views

heron and egrets
great white egret




great white egret

little egret

two egrets
green sandpiper

sleepy shoveler






No comments:

Post a Comment

AUTUMN MORNING IN THE CWP AND A NEW PERSONAL RECORD

 There was a definite chill to the air this morning when I visited the Cotswold Water Park. In particular I was looking for whinchats at Bla...