Tuesday 9 October 2018

MORE CLOUDED YELLOWS

With warm sunshine forecast all day, I couldn't resist another opportunity to see clouded yellows at Chimney Meadows. There was a slight breeze so I did wonder if this would affect the butterflies' behaviour.

I was pleased to note higher numbers than last week's visit. I would guess there were at least half a dozen, maybe 8 or 9, but they are fast flyers and although I saw them in different places in a large field, it's always possible that some were the same ones! 

Again, it was hard to photograph them as they rarely stopped, and if they did settle on a flower it was only for a few seconds, hardly time to get my camera pointed in the right direction before off they went again. 

It wasn't until I was well on the way back to the car that I finally found an obliging individual, a brightly coloured male, that stopped several times, once or twice on flowers but several times down amongst the grass. 




This photo just shows the male's wing pattern.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SLIMBRIDGE SUMMER

  I finally caught a glimpse of the white spotted bluethroat at Slimbridge today, it was only a distant sighting but at least a tick for the...